Re: Canonicalized values

From: R Knapp (gyp_caver_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 16:17:11 CET

From: "R Knapp" <gyp_caver_at_yahoo.com>
To: "cavexml_at_cartography.ch" <cavexml_at_cartography.ch>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:17:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Canonicalized values
Sender: owner-cavexml_at_karmail.ethz.ch

> I guess I have a good idea now and then; I guess that was mine for this month :-)
>
> > I like both:
> > <Distance reading="10" value="3.05"/>
> > <Distance original="10" value="3.05"/>
>
> Of course, you only get one or the other, it is simply a matter of picking a
> word. Where you thinking that "reading" was different than "original"? That
> was not my intent.

True. But both names make sense. If I had to choose, I would probably favor original
because of the inherent meaning. Reading could be taken as something other than the
measurement "That's what I read...too bad I was using the wrong scale on the compass!"
<g>

> > <Distance value="3.05"/>
> >
> > when canonical units match survey units. It makes it much clearer ...
>
> It also occurs to me that those who will treat CaveXML as an interchange format and
> not a storage format might just not bother sending some odd original measurement
> and just send out the standard value, so might find it odd to have an attribute...

In the format objects I'm creating, I'll handle the canonical conversion withing the
CaveXML File object (or a helper class). Don't see any reason to muck up my other formats
with too much unit knowledge.

> It is even how John suggested it could be used. Plus there is all the survey
> already in meters. All in all, sounds like sufficient justification for the value
> to be in a canonical form and 'original' if available and needed,
> be the optional one.

Agreed.

> You guys have got me off my (figurative) butt. I was actually writing code
> that was reading XML with a SAX parser last night. I'm...

Would you like an example of a converted data file? I've got some good data files in
COMPASS I can convert to CaveXML and send you both sets for comparison.

> pursuing the original goal of XSLT pilot project in order
> to really get a handle on various XML issues. Stay tuned.

I was going to start playing with that but the XML side is taking all the time.

        Richard Knapp
        gyp_caver_at_yahoo.com