Re: Canonicalized values was: ...BlueBook/ (fwd)

From: P A Hill & E V Goodall (goodhill_at_xmission.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 21:35:23 CET

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:35:23 -0700
From: P A Hill & E V Goodall <goodhill_at_xmission.com>
To: cavexml_at_cartography.ch
Subject: Re: Canonicalized values was: ...BlueBook/ (fwd)
Sender: owner-cavexml_at_karmail.ethz.ch

R Knapp wrote:
> <CaveXML version="0.02" value_angles="degrees" value_distances="meters"
> xmlns="http://www.CaveXML.org">
>
> Nothing fancy.

Sounds sensible to me.

and John said:
>Now that you mention it, that does seem the cleaner approach.

I guess I have a good idea now and then; I guess that was mine for this month :-)

> I like both:
> <Distance reading="10" value="3.05"/>
> <Distance original="10" value="3.05"/>

Of course, you only get one or the other, it is simply a matter of picking a
word. Where you thinking that "reading" was different than "original"? That
was not my intent.

> <Distance value="3.05"/>
>
> when canonical units match survey units. It makes it much clearer ...

It also occurs to me that those who will treat CaveXML as an interchange format and
not a storage format might just not bother sending some odd original measurement
and just send out the standard value, so might find it odd to have an attribute
keyword "canonical_value". I never want to loose anything so wouldn't
leaving out anything myself, but we all know that is one way to use such a format.
It is even how John suggested it could be used. Plus there is all the survey
already in meters. All in all, sounds like sufficient justification for the value
to be in a canonical form and 'original' if available and needed,
be the optional one.

You guys have got me off my (figurative) butt. I was actually writing code
that was reading XML with a SAX parser last night. I'm
pursuing the original goal of XSLT pilot project in order
to really get a handle on various XML issues. Stay tuned.

If there are any cavers out there familiar with XSLT, it would be great to
hear from you.

-Paul